Built in 1910, this local historic landmark was originally the trolley barn for the Tampa Electric Street and Railway Company. After the streetcar system was shut down in the 1940’s, it was purchased and occupied by Tampa Armature Works. Now fully renovated, the building is the social and entertainment center for The Heights, a 43-acre mixed-use redevelopment district adjacent to the Hillsborough River with views of the downtown skyline.
The restored two-story building has 73,000 square feet and includes a food hall, three restaurants, event hall for 800 people, event theater for 180 people and a collaborative work space. Early in the design process it became clear that significant alterations to the building would be necessary to functionally accommodate the proposed uses. The design strategy was to identify and preserve the building’s most defining characteristics while not being timid in inserting new elements where necessary.
Return to: 2019 AIA Florida Design Award Winners