Stats and Facts
- The official name of the organization is the Florida Association of the American Institute of Architects, Inc. The name for common use may be abbreviated to AIA Florida, FA/AIA.
- AIA Florida was founded in 1912.
- The AIA Florida mission is to "unite, educate and position architects to lead the shaping of Florida's future."
- AIA Florida is headed by a 22-person board of directors. Long term visioning for the Association is done by the AIA Strategic Council.
- There are 13 chapters represented in the Florida/Caribbean region including: AIA Northwest, AIA Tallahassee, AIA Gainesville, AIA Jacksonville, AIA Orlando, AIA Tampa Bay, AIA Space Coast, AIA Treasure Coast, AIA Gulf Coast, AIA Palm Beach, AIA Ft. Lauderdale, AIA Miami, AIA Southwest.
- AIA Florida has more than 3,600 members and covers the Florida/Caribbean region including Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands.
- AIA Florida offers five membership categories: Architect Member (AIA), Associate Member (Assoc. AIA), Emeritus (EM), Firm Membership, Allied Members.
- AIA Florida requires all members that practice in Florida to take continuing education courses. The Florida Statutes require architects to complete continuing education for licensure, while the AIA requires it for membership.
- Publications include the weekly e-newsletter, Friday Facts, the quarterly magazine Florida/Caribbean Architect, the Florida/Caribbean Firm and Membership Directory and several other member newsletters.
- AIA Florida hosts an Annual Convention that includes a number of CE Seminars, networing opportunities, a trade show and draws several hundred members, guests and vendors. The 2018 Annual Convention & Trade Show will be held on July 19-22 at the Sawgrass Marriott in Ponte Vedra, Florida.
- AIA Florida has four committees: Advocacy Committee, Community/Communications Committee, Professional Development Committee, and Membership & Component Committee.
- The government advocacy arm of the AIA Florida is the Florida Architects Political Action Committee (FAPAC).
- AIA Florida participates in the 1% Program which is a program of public architecture that connects architects and design firms with non-profit organizations for pro bono work.
- AIA Florida is the Tallahassee Society of Association Executives 2006 and 2008 Association of the Year, and the Tallahassee Chamber of Commerce 2008 Association of the Year.
- AIA Florida won a 2008 Videographer Award for its Design Matters DVD.
- 2006 Gold Medal MarCom Creative Awards for Design Matters DVD.
- 2006 Apex Award for Publication Excellence.
- AIA Florida has earned numerous Component Excellence Awards from the American Institute of Architects (AIA) for overall Governmental Affairs and Membership Programs.