Preparing for Licensure Renewal
The continuing education requirement deadline is December 31, 2016. This means your continuing education hours must be obtained from January 1, 2015 through December 31, 2016.
The deadline for License Renewal is February 28, 2017.
As a reminder, on Nov. 21, 2012, Rule 61G1-24, Florida Administrative Code (F.A.C), outlining the continuing education hours (CEH) requirements changed from 20 to 24 hours. (22 hours in health, safety and welfare approved courses and 2 hours in the Florida Building Code Advanced Course). For more information, see the DBPR Architecture Continuing Education Handbook, click here.
When an architect renews their license, he/she will attest to completing 24 continuing education hours from January 1, 2015 through December 31, 2016.
The board no longer accepts optional self-directed study courses delivered by non-AIA providers.
For more information on CE LAWS & RULES and answers to frequently asked questions, click here.
WE’RE HERE TO HELP YOU GET AHEAD
OF THE CONTINUING EDUCATION REPORTING DEADLINE
AIA Florida is dedicated to you. Below are several ways to obtain your CE hours before the deadline.
1) Register for AIA Florida Online Courses, click here.
Online courses must be completed by 11:59 pm on December 31, 2016 to count towards the February 28, 2017 license renewal.
2) Purchase CE DVDs and Materials, click here.
DVD orders placed after December 18, 2016 are NOT guaranteed to arrive prior to the December 31 reporting deadline. Any DVD order must return the completed affidavit and quiz to AIA Florida post marked by December 31, 2016 in order for it to count towards the February 28, 2017 license renewal.
In order to receive email notification about upcoming seminars and important licensure renewal information, please be sure you are subscribed to AIA Florida email. Click HERE to subscribe.
ANSWERS TO FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:
When is the Architect Licensure renewal date?
February 28, 2017
When is the deadline to have all of my continuing education credits completed?
December 31, 2016
What is the difference between the license renewal deadline and the continuing education credit reporting deadline?
Your license renewal deadline is the date that your licensure renewal paperwork is due to the Department of Business and Professional Regulation. Your continuing education credit reporting deadline is the date that all 24 hours of required continuing education must be completed.
What is the State of Florida Renewal Agency phone number?
The Department of Business and Professional Regulation is (850) 487-1395.
I have extra CE hours, can they “roll over” to the next renewal cycle?
No, any additional hours above the required 24 will not apply to any other renewal years.
What is the License Renewal fee?
How many hours are required?
24 Total: 22 hours of HSW credit & 2 hours of Advanced Florida Building Code
How do I know if a course I have taken is an approved Advanced FBC course?
- If it was taken through AIA Florida it will have “Advanced FBC” in the title.
- If it was taken through another vendor, you will need to contact them directly.
If I have taken more than 2 hours in Advanced Florida Building Code, can I use the extra hours towards my HSW requirement?
Yes, as long as they are HSW approved (which they should be).
How do I know how many hours I have?
- If you are an AIA Member: Visit www.aia.org and in the top right hand corner, in gray, click on “transcripts” it will bring you to a log in page. Once you log in, your transcript will pop up and you can adjust the dates to see how many hours you have accumulated between January 1, 2015 and now.
- If you are NOT an AIA Member: There is no cumulative record of the hours you have taken, as the state does not keep CE on file for architects. You will need to gather your certificates from the companies with whom you took CE courses.
What do I do if I am missing credits on my transcript?
You will need to contact the provider of that course. If it’s an AIA Florida, AIA Northwest, or AIA Palm Beach course, please contact Sarah Brown at email@example.com.
What do I do if I don’t have certificates for my courses?
- If you are an AIA Member, the state of Florida will accept your transcript as proof.
- If you are not an AIA Member, please contact the provider of the course. If the course was provided by AIA Florida, AIA Northwest, or AIA Palm Beach please contact Sarah Brown at firstname.lastname@example.org.
I am a newly licensed architect; do I need to fulfill the CE requirement?
If you were licensed after March 1, 2015, then no, you do not need to fulfill the CE requirement, you will just need to renew your license.
If you were licensed on or before February 28, 2015, then yes, you will need to fulfill the CE requirement and renew your license.
The Department of Business and Professional Regulation's CE handbook for the Architecture profession states: “A person initially licensed for less than 24 months prior to the end of a renewal cycle need not complete any continuing education as a condition of the first renewal. All subsequent renewals require 24 hours of continuing education. All continuing education hours are required in health, safety, and welfare topics of study."
I am out of state and don't want to travel to Florida. How can I get my Advanced FBC hours?
- Please select "Register for AIA online courses" from above. We have online and DVD courses that will satisfy your 2-hour Adv. FBC requirement for state license renewal.
I am an AIA Emeritus member. Do I still need to comply with the CE terms?
- If you want to keep an active license in Florida the state requires you complete the CE hours and renew your license.
- If you are retired or retiring, you may call the Department of Business and Professional Regulation (DBPR) and request that they place you in “retired” status so that you do not have to comply with the CE terms; however, you will also not be licensed to practice. You can contact DBPR at (850) 487-1395.
How can I plan to obtain my Continuing Education Hours in the future?
- Attend AIA Florida Conventions
- July 21 – 24, 2016 – The Breakers in Palm Beach
- July 26-29, 2017 - Naples Grande Resort
- Hot Topics Seminar - September 2016 - More information to come
- License Renewal Conference - December 2016 - More information to come
- See our calendar of events for your local component CE schedules; located on our website under the “Upcoming Events” button on the right-hand side of the website.
Are you offering the full 24 hours in a seminar format for the February 2017 renewal deadline?
Yes! AIA Florida will offer a three-day program near the end of the 2016 that will provide all 24 hours of required CEUs, including the two-hour advanced course.
For more information, contact Wendy Johnson, Director of Professional Development, at AIA Florida (850) 222-7590 or email email@example.com